Saturday 8 June 2019

A Letter from Leila

I managed to get this from eBay this week, which is a letter from Leila Williams to a fan named Ian.

It does not have a date on it and neither does it have the photograph with it which Leila apparently sent to lucky Ian, that will no doubt turn up on eBay as a separate auction. Call me a cynic...


 
But it does have Leila's autograph which is of great value to me, as well as expressing her frustration with sitting for photographs, which must have been a challenge for some one who was Miss Great Britain! I like how Leila has made a little face out of her autograph by double dotting the I - a picture of her soul I feel!

Leila is rapidly becoming my favourite, yet most under-rated Blue Peter female presenter ever. As kid's magazine format tv programmes go, Jenny Handley of Magpie will always take some beating, but Leila is definitely a contender.
 

2 comments:

  1. Me too a remarkable lady she seems a sad shame there is no footage of her actually presenting Blue Peter and very few photographs on her time on Blue Peter, the only ones I have seen a lot of is the photographs taken on the first programme in 1958, although I do have a tele snap of her presenting Blue Peter in January of 1960.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this comment Steve. There was almost an air brushing out of the early presenters or maybe the publicity machinery just wasn't up to much in the early days. Biddy Baxter certainly seems to have created a solid brand from when she took over the captaincy of the ship which has to be admired except it did not recognise the early presenters like Leila for many years if not decades.

    ReplyDelete